Saturday 22 October 2011

Wascally Wabbit

The nice people at Abel and Cole brought me a rabbit this week.

I had lots of thoughts about what might be the best thing to do with him (pie, KFR, curry etc) but in the end, plumped for the hearty (and also lazy) option of Rabbit Stew.

Here is a selection of my ingredients.



There were also streaky bacon (husband was buying this at the time of photographing), flour, seasonings and a tub of unidentified (but almost certainly chicken. Or lamb. Or grouse) stock from the freezer (must devise labelling system).
The Perrier was a necessary chefly privilege.

I peeled and chopped the garlic, onion and purple purple carrots (see how pretty!)



and flung them into a (as is traditional, slightly too small for the job) casserole thingy, where they fried until they were cookedish and a bit caramelly, at which point I decanted them onto a plate.



I floured the (ready jointed) rabbit bits with well seasoned flour. I left the bones in. As mentioned above I am lazy.
The rabbity bits browned in the pan, but remained tragically unphotographed.

When they were brownish, I took them out, deglazed the pan with a bit of open-white-wine-from-the-fridge, chucked everything back into the pan and covered with stock. And, at the last minute, an enormous bayleaf.
I brought it all to the boil on the hob and then stuck it in the oven (at about 120, I think) for a couple of hours.

When it came out, I didn't reduce down the sauce on the hob, but I probably should have (and, indeed, have done so with the leftovers).

We ate it with a pretty green cauliflower and husband had rice.



V good. Gamey. Whole flat now stinks of rabbits and cats are going a bit mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment