Tuesday 20 March 2012

On A Roll...

Ice cream memories from childhood - ah, there are so many to choose from.

Viennettas... The, oh-so-desirable-yet-forbidden screwballs... 99s and oysters from the ice cream van... Mini milks... Oh - and Gino Ginelli - whatever happened to him?

But, when it came to the crunch, there was really only one choice - arctic roll.
Oh yes!

First, I made a custard based vanilla ice cream - not unlike my last month's rhubarb ice-cream, but with cream instead of milk - well, mainly because there was some in the fridge.

I rolled it into a sausage after churning, wrapped in baking parchment and stuffed it into a tiny space in the freezer overnight.

The next day, I made a lovely springy swiss roll sponge, which I left to cool under a damp tea towel for half an hour or so after taking it out of the oven (to stop it drying out and make it possible to roll), spread it with strawberry jam and rolled it around my ice cream sausage.

Et voila - arctic roll!


It's been sitting in the freezer for the past week, getting progressively smaller.

Husband is overjoyed. And most definitely over his previous insistence that we (read I) attempt to recreate Viennetta :-)



This is my March entry to Kavey's Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream round up . Be there or be super super square.

2 comments:

  1. B R I L L I A N T !

    Loving your arctic roll. It's so cold it's ANTARCTIC!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not had arctic roll for years - love how this challenge has unearthed so many childhood favourites!

    ReplyDelete